Recipe created for BUSH'S® Beans by Maureen Toman, BUSH’S® employee.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 60 Minutes
- Servings: About 6
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ribs green celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme, whole, crushed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 cans (15.8 ounces) BUSH’S® Great Northern Beans, drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) cubed ham (for vegetarian option, omit ham)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- In large stockpot, place garlic, onion, celery, carrots, cabbage and seasonings. Add enough broth to cover the vegetables (start with 6 cups and add more as needed). Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add BUSH’S® Great Northern Beans, ham, tomatoes and salt to taste. Check seasoning flavor and add more thyme, black pepper or salt, if needed.
- Simmer uncovered for at least 15 minutes before serving.