"I loved the meatballs & the beans in the sauce," Sophie, 7-year-old from Indiana. This kid-friendly vegetable recipe was tested by families on BUSH'S® Beans Moms & Kids Panel.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 20 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 1 can (16 oz) BUSH'S® Garbanzo Beans, with liquid
- For Meatballs:
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3/4 lb reduced fat Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- For Sauce:
- 4 cups baby spinach, washed
- 2 canss (14.5 oz) unsalted diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 lb whole-wheat spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, as needed
- For the Meatballs: Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium saute pan. Add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are soft and garlic is aromatic, approximately 15 minutes, let cool.
- Combine bread, egg, and milk in a large bowl. Add onion mixture, ground turkey, and turkey sausage. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven at 375 degrees F. Form mixture into 2 -inch balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet, do not let touch. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- For the Sauce: Put the spinach in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Pour both cans of tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, garbanzo beans and cooked meatballs into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook all ingredients on low for 8-10 hours.
- When ready to serve, boil a large pot of water. Add the spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Drain. Place a portion of spaghetti on each plate, top with sauce, meatballs, and grated parmesan cheese.