This spectacular cornbread topped BBQ Chicken Pot Pie is comfort food at its finest! A hearty BBQ chicken filling is topped with cheesy cornbread turning this dish into a taste of summer.
I could serve barbecue chicken every other day at my house without a single complaint from my family. Not one. This cornbread topped BBQ chicken pot pie packs all the flavors of a summer barbecue and it’s super simple to make.
As much as I love the holidays, I’m not a big fan of cold weather. So my attempt to hold onto warm weather sometimes shows up in the kitchen. With the frigid temps and trying to keep our house warm, I often turn to baking dinner.
We love barbecue chicken all the time in the summer, so to “winterize” that favorite, I made BBQ Chicken Pot Pie and topped it with cornbread for a bit of southern comfort.
This meal starts with bbq chicken grilled indoors, then shredded and tossed with baked beans, roasted corn, green bell pepper, and a cheesy cornbread topping finishes it all off. The flavors blend together so nicely and it really is one of those dishes that warms you up from the inside out.
No need to go outside in the cold weather to barbecue chicken. This recipe uses a combination of both the cooktop and the oven. Start by using a grill pan to grill the chicken (you can use a skillet if you don’t have a grill pan). The grooves of a grill pan let fat drip away, like it would on the grill, making it great for cooking boneless portions of chicken quickly and evenly.
Brush both sides of chicken with your favorite barbecue sauce. We enjoy St. Louis style barbecue sauce with sweet and smoky flavors.
Remove the bbq chicken from the pan, and shred it using a fork, and toss with other ingredients.
I think the roasted corn compliments the dish nicely and gives it a festive flavor, while the BUSH’S® Southern Pit Barbecue Grillin’ Beans® brings a bit of smoky bold flavor. It’s so good!
I prepared two baking dishes for our bbq chicken pot pie, so I could give one to my mom. The recipe will work well in a 9×13 baking dish, individual servings in ramekins or you could even cook the chicken in a large deep ovenproof skillet and use that same pan (making less pans to clean up).
I love the twist and flavor the cheesy cornbread brings to the pot pie. A box cornbread mix makes this recipe quick and easy, but feel free to use a favorite cornbread recipe if you prefer.
It doesn’t get much more comforting than this!
It’s like our love of comfort food and barbecue collide in this recipe.
A simple casserole like this bbq chicken pot pie proves dinner doesn’t have to be fancy to be family pleasing. It’s a hearty, tummy filling meal that’s good enough for company too.
BBQ CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE
SERVINGS: 8-10 servings
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes
- 1.5 - 2 pounds chicken tenderloins, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup smoky flavored BBQ sauce (divided)
- 1 (8.6 ounce) can BUSH’S® Southern Pit Barbecue Grillin’ Beans®
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Fire-Roasted Corn (or just fresh cut corn, fire-roasted has more flavor)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14-16 ounce) cornbread mix + ingredients listed on box (milk and egg)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place chicken in the pan and cook until no longer pink, about 5-8 minutes. Using about 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce, brush each side of chicken with sauce while the other side cooks.
- Transfer cooked chicken to bowl (or baking dish) and shred using forks. Add beans, corn, bell pepper and remaining bbq sauce and stir to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish (if mixed in bowl)
- In a separate bowl, mix together the baking mix, milk and egg and 1 cup of cheese. Spoon cornbread mixture evenly over the chicken and beans mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cornbread is golden brown on top. You'll know the dish is ready when the mixture is bubbly and the cornbread is baked through.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle top with remaining cheese while hot from the oven, so cheese melts into the top of the cornbread.