Hearty BUSH'S® Great Northern Beans make this vegetarian sandwich deliciously filling.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1 can (15.8 oz) BUSH'S® Great Northern Beans, drained
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 8 slices whole wheat or other crusted bread
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Brush butter on outer side of each slice of bread.
- Add half of the beans to a bowl and mash gently with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Stir in remaining whole beans. Spread evenly on the inner side of 4 slices of bread.
- Mix onion, celery, mayonnaise and salt in the bean bowl; spread on top of beans. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and top with remaining slices of bread, buttered side facing up.
- Using a panini press, baking sheet or skillet, toast the melts on both sides. Let rest several minutes so cheese does not run when cut. Cut and serve.