Steven Raichlen, host of public television’s “Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke,” introduced BUSH’S® BBQ Bootcamp™ to grilling steaks caveman-style, directly on the coals. The steaks are topped with a spicy mix of peppers and served with BUSH’S® Smoky Potato Salad.
Looking for your Recipe Box?
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 4 each (12-14oz) strip steaks (1½ inches thick)
- coarse salt (kosher or sea) and coarsely cracked black peppercorns, to taste
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 each red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced into ¼”×2”
- 1 each yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced into ¼”×2”
- 1 each poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 2 each jalapeños, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 6 each scallions, trimmed, thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 each cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- You’ll also need:
- 10-inch cast iron skillet
- natural bristle basting brush
- Build charcoal fire using natural lump charcoal and rake coals into even layer, leaving front third of grill coal-free.
- When coals glow orange, fan with newspaper to blow off loose ash.
- Season steaks on both sides with salt and cracked pepper and place directly on embers, about 2 inches apart.
- Grill until cooked to taste, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning with tongs.
- Move steaks after 2 minutes on each side to cook evenly.
- Use tongs to lift steaks out of fire and shake to dislodge clinging embers.
- Brush off loose ash with basting brush and arrange steaks on platter or plates.
- Let steaks rest for 2 minutes and prepare pepper pan-fry.
- Heat olive oil in cast-iron skillet directly on embers, on gas grill side burner, or on stove.
- When oil is hot, add peppers, scallions, garlic and parsley.
- Cook over high heat until peppers and garlic are golden brown, 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture over steaks and serve.
- Pairs well with BUSH’S® Smoky Potato Salad